This is what life looks like....in Leighland...

Saturday 8 June 2013

How to make the best EVER Caramel Cupcakes!!!

Ok, so maybe second best ever....


On Wednesday, the 'Lil Monster wanted to bake cakes.  To save time and mess I usually use a boxed cake mix when baking with her and I had a Betty Crocker Caramel Cupcake box, so we whipped them up and boy were they good!!!

I'e never really experimented with flavours before, I usually stick to either chocolate or vanilla but the caramel flavour inspired me to find a way to make them from scratch and I'm soooooooo pleased that I did!

I'm not a big fan of fruit so I usually have a squeezey bottle of Sainsburys own toffee sauce in the cupboard.  Drizzle that over sliced apple and/or banana and there's not enough fruit in the world...it tastes amazing but more importantly not too sickly, so I knew it would make a perfect substitution for vanilla in my go to cupcake recipe!

Basic cupcake recipe:

Makes 16 large cupcakes                            
250g flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder                                
100g olive spread (room temperature)
1 1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
200g light brown sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
100mls almond or hazelnut milk
3tbsp toffee/caramel sauce

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
Mix flour, baking powder and sea salt in a bowl and put to one side
Beat olive spread, sugar and caramel sauce until light and fluffy
Beat in eggs one at a time
Add 1/3 flour mix then 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour mix, 1/2 milk and last 1/3 flour mix and mix until fully combined
Spoon into your cupcake cases and bake in the middle of the oven for aprox 16 mins or until a cocktail stick comes out clean
Completely before frosting

Once the cakes are ready, I prefer to turn the oven off and leave the cakes in for a further 3 mins to ensure they don't drop.

Frosting:
75g unsalted butter
175g icing sugar
2 tbsp caramel sauce

Dice the butter and soften with a spatula
Add caramel sauce and beat into butter until fully combined
Add icing sugar a bit at a time


No comments:

Post a Comment