This is what life looks like....in Leighland...

Thursday 14 March 2013

Floor painting in Leighland...

So we've eventually cleared out the spare room (in a vain bid to get the New Years resolutions back on track!!).  As the home made built in wardrobes that we inherited when we bought the house have been ripped out, there'd be a gap in the floor where the carpet ends and the new free standing wardrobes will sit, so up came the carpets!

Unfortunately, our budget can't stretch to a new carpet so the plan is to paint the floor boards white and move the rug from the dining room up stairs!

Some of the discs in the bottom of my spine are damaged so when it comes to DIY (which I love!) I'm always looking for a good cheat that will help me finish the project in half the time while still giving a perfect-ish finish - Ronseal recommend sealing knots and filling cracks with their appropriate sealers and fillers, I'll be using Homebases' own Expanding Foam instead.  They also recommend using a sanding machine to remove any previous finishes.  I can't afford a sanding machine and certainly couldn't manage to sand by hand but to the best of my knowledge the floor boards haven't been treated since they were put in around 100 years ago so I'm going to give the boards a good wipe down with white vinegar before I start painting.

I don't know how well my cheats will turn out so its a good job its the spare room!!  I'll be posting pictures soon so you can see how we get on!  Share you're DIY tales and hints & tips below!

No comments:

Post a Comment